Ultrastar DC HC500 Series
High Capacity for Massive Data and Lower Total Cost of Ownership
Driving Up Capacity and Driving Down TCO for Cloud and Hyperscale Data Centers
The breadth and depth of Big Data is driving the universal need for higher capacities across a broad spectrum of applications and workloads. Laying the foundation for a worry-free data center, Western Digital delivers the capacity to conquer the data explosion with the Ultrastar DC HC500 series of hard drives. Built using HelioSeal technology, the industry’s only fifth-generation helium platform, the DC HC500 series is designed for public and private cloud environments, where storage density, Watts/TB and $/TB are critical for creating the most cost-efficient infrastructure. HelioSeal technology is key to achieving higher drive capacities, greater reliability ratings and extreme power efficiency. The result is a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for our cloud and enterprise customers.
Beyond Air. Helium Takes You Higher.
Responding to the complex needs of the modern data center, Western Digital has developed HelioSeal technology, a foundational building block for high-capacity hard disk drives (HDDs). This innovative technology hermetically seals the HDD and replaces the air inside with helium, which is one-seventh the density of air. The less dense atmosphere resets the boundaries and challenges of conventional high-capacity HDDs, allowing for dramatic increases in efficiency, reliability and value.
12TB CMR HDD, drop-in ready for capacity-optimized workloads
52% lower idle Watts/TB than 8TB Ultrastar air-filled drives
Unbeaten MTBF rating for an HDD at 2.5M hours
– Up to 14TB capacity in a standard 3.5-inch form factor
– Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) technology works seamlessly in capacity enterprise environments
– Reliable, field-proven design across five generations
– HelioSeal design delivers power efficiency (Watts/TB)
– 2.5M hours MTBF rating and a 5-year limited warranty
– Cloud & Hyperscale Storage
– Massive Scale-Out (MSO), high-density data centers
– Distributed File Systems
– Bulk storage using Object storage solutions like Ceph™ and OpenStack Swift
– Primary and secondary storage for Apache Hadoop® for Big Data Analytics
– Surveillance Analytics